Covid has made many of us reflect on what is important in life.
I thought I would share some of the things I think are integral to a life well lived:
- Live a good and ethical life.
- Stand up for what you believe in. Never turn a blind eye to injustice.
- This planet is our home: respect it and look after it.
- Public good trumps your wants and needs.
- Do not screw anyone over.
- Own your mistakes.
- Ask forgiveness when you need to.
- Prioritise relationships with family and friends .
- Happiness is a great goal, but happiness doesn’t just happen, it takes work.
- Respect your body; it is the only one you will ever have.
- If something in your life isn’t working, try and fix it first. This holds true for everything from fridges to relationships. If you can’t fix it, buy another (fridge), or move on (relationships).
- Experiences are never a waste of money; updating an OK lounge suite is.
- Failing does not mean you are a failure. It means you are human. Accept it with grace, not excuses.
- Being the best is not important. Trying your best is.
- Don’t prioritise accumulating money or things ever. Neither will bring you true happiness.
- There is good debt e.g to buy your home and bad debt e.g credit card debt. The former should make you financially secure; the latter will make the lending institution so.
- Don’t get wants and needs muddled up. Wants might be nice to have, but never screw yourself (or anyone else) over financially or in any other way to get it.
- Buying second hand is a win for the planet and for you.
- Don’t idolise other people, be they beautiful, rich or whatever; others lives are not what they seem!
- Be comfortable and happy with who you are, but recognise you are a work in progress .
I am sure you will have other things that you think are important. Please feel free to add them to the comments.